Saturday, July 30, 2011

On getting older.....

Yesterday was my birthday. I had a nice day. Stayed around the house and enjoyed my family for most of the day, then out to dinner last night. My sweet kids and hubby got me yellow box flip flops, a Southern Belle t-shirt, and a new Kavu purse. Ron & Kay, my in laws gave me money. My mom had a small birthday party for me today and I got a Smurfette Christmas ornament and money from my sister. Smurfette was my FAVORITE when I was little. I had my tonsils out when I was six years old and my dad surprised me with a Smurfette doll in my suitcase when I got to the hospital. I still have that doll and my girls play with her now. My mom and my aunt Bertie also gave me money. A perfect gift considering I'm going back to work next week and need some work clothes that fit!

I don't mind getting older. I had always heard the saying that "with age comes wisdom". The older I get the more I see that this is true. Especially now that I have a teenager. Becoming wise can be painful sometimes. I've learned that material things don't really matter. In the world today there's so much focus on having the newest of everything and the best of everything. What really matters is God and family.

The older I get the more I realize how wise my dad was. He passed away a few years ago, but left a strong legacy of faith and family. I hope to be like him in many ways. He never cared what others thought, or about "keeping up with the Jones'". He always said "It's all dirt". He grew up without a father and basically lived in poverty. He worked hard to educate himself and get a good job to support us. He persevered through some horrible physical problems without ever complaining or giving up. He taught me that if you say you'll do something, you do it. I could go on and on about the things I learned by watching him. I pray that as the years go by I am as good of an example to my kids as my dad was to me.

So here's to more birthdays and getting older. Bring 'em on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment