Friday, February 19, 2010

Season of Lent

Growing up in the Church of Christ I don't ever remember hearing the word Lent. I know at some point I must have because I remember associating it with the Catholic church. A few years ago I began working at a Methodist church and came to realize it wasn't just a Catholic thing. I started working there in February, just before the Lenten season. I learned all kinds of new terms, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, etc. I had no idea what they all meant but I knew they were important because they had a service for each of these days and I helped run the bulletins for all of these services. Each year I've learned more and more about the significance of Lent. I think Adam Hamilton sums it up best in the devotional book "24 Hours That Changed The World". He says "It is a time of more intense spiritual seeking, devotion, and preparation climaxing in Holy Week with the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus."

Over the years all my friends I work with have given up something for Lent. Many of them take something on as well. I decided this year I would try it out. So for this Lenten season I'm giving up my coffee. I ritually have two cups each and every morning. Yesterday was the first day with no coffee. Today the first word that popped into my head before I even opened my eyes was "coffee". I know in the big scheme of things giving up coffee doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice. But you know what I did this morning when that word popped into my head? I said a little prayer that God would help me resist the temptation. And if I can learn to depend on Him to get me through my coffee cravings, how much more can I turn over to Him in other areas of my life that need improvement?

The idea of taking something on is to open yourself up to be a servant. So I'm not just giving something up, I'm also going to take something on. On Wednesday nights in Sadie's class one of the teachers is having some health problems. Her other teacher is a little overwhelmed with all the three year olds in that class. So I'm going to start helping her out in there.

Whether you observe the Lenten season or not, take a moment to reflect on the sacrifice that was given for you. What amazing love!

No comments:

Post a Comment